[thelist] Hide entire directory from search engines?

Dejan Kozina dejan at kozina.com
Fri Mar 28 22:05:36 CDT 2008

If your including is done with PHP or some other server-side scripting
not bound by .htaccess rules you can use this:

order allow,deny
deny from all

This prevents Apache from serving any content directly toward the
network, while scripting engines are bound only by file-system
permissions...

djn

Gersten, John wrote:
> It's not specific crawlers/bots I'm worried about; I need to stick some "include" content somewhere, and if I put it "above" the site root (which I realize is optimal for security, etc.) then my paths get long, plus there are some issues of convenience in terms of creating the pages that pull toward a "downward" location. So while I'm happy to have the crawlers find and index the pages using the pulled content, I don't want to confuse things by having the material show up twice as far as the bots are concerned. Does that make sense?
>
> I have a feeling I'll end up moving the content above the site root in the end, but I was hoping for something to support what is essentially my construction-laziness.

Dejan Kozina Web design studio
Dolina 346 (TS) - I-34018 Italy
tel./fax: +39 040 228 436 - cell.: +39 348 7355 225 skype: dejankozina
http://www.kozina.com/  - e-mail: dejan at kozina.com