[thelist] Sharepoint a database?

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Wed Apr 2 08:30:14 CDT 2008

Jason Handby [jason.handby at corestar.co.uk] writed:

> You could try the Socratic method? Say to the lead,
> "OK, I accept that clearly you know more than I do
> about this. I thought I needed a relational database
> for <task X> but I see now that I'm wrong. Could
> you explain to me how I should be doing this with
> Sharepoint instead, and how it meets all of my needs?"

Way ahead of you.  I made a similar interrogatory.  The lead simply explained that SharePoint lists will be the data structures and we can build a "query" by putting a filtered list on a web page.

So I asked, how do we do conditional selects, inner and outer joins, etc.?  How do we optimize the data for better performance?  How do we deliver complex reporting capabilities?

His reply, "Remember, we're trying to keep this project simple.  We don't need all of that."

I finally gave up on that and presented my list of development software to build the GUI.  The Lead's reply, "We don't need any of that software... SharePoint will be our front-end."

I just got up and went back to my desk to pop a few Excedrin and rub a half stick of Head On on my forehead...

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality is now using antacid to deal with reality.
http://dwacon.blogspot.com