[thelist] Implementing a Content Delivery Network

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:18:29 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Randal Rust <randalrust at gmail.com> wrote:

>  there is an intervening process, which is to use getimagesize() so
>  that we can accurately reduce the size of an image to a thumbnail.

If on-the-fly image processing is where the time's going, maybe you
should pre-process. Alternatively, you might be able to improve the
efficiency of your image processing routines.

If neither of those is feasible and your problem is lack of horsepower,
you might as well just replace your current server with something up
to the job, rather than add a second box to be managed.  IMHO.

And if your upgrade involves moving from a 32- to 64-bit system and
OS, you'll be able to apply a lot more memory to tasks like image
processing -- and that can make quite a difference  :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com