[thelist] asp/c#/.net master page

Chris Marsh chris.marsh at priocept.com
Tue Apr 29 12:02:06 CDT 2008

Laura

[..]

>    //And finally on the content page, we add this snippet on the Load
> event.
>
>    myMasterPage myMaster = (myMasterPage)this.Master;

Here the author is obtaining a reference to the master page; which
requires a cast.

>    myMaster.mainTitle = "Playing with master pages :)";

Here the author is assigning a value to a property of the master page
referenced in the line above.

> The problem I am having with it is the writer doesn't tell us what he
> named his asst pages.
> I have a master page named MasterPage1.master. I have replaced

Check that your master page contains the following directive:

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
       CodeFile="MasterPage1.master.cs" Inherits="MasterPage1" %>

Check that the file MasterPage1.master.cs does actually contain the
definition of a type named MasterPage1.

Check that your page directive contains the following:

MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/MasterPage1.master"

If all of this is correct, then the following will work for you:

MasterPage1myMaster = (MasterPage1)this.Master;
MasterPage1.mainTitle = "Playing with master pages :)";

Don't forget that C# is case sensitive, so check all of your casing
thoroughly.

> different words
> in the above with "MasterPage1", but am not getting far. I am sure
this
> is a
> silly-easy question, but, since this is a new area for me, I am lost.
>
> Can someone here offer me how I should be wording this code?

If the instructions above do not solve your problem, can you post the
error that you are receiving please?

Cheers!

Chris Marsh
chris.marsh at priocept.com

Confidentiality notice:
This email and/or any attached document(s) is confidential and intended
only for the person to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged
and/or confidential information. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of this information by persons other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.