[thelist] SEO: search results wildly different from Google to Yahoo

Dan Stockton prosayist at inbox.com
Thu May 1 19:07:56 CDT 2008

Joel D Canfield wrote:
> .. Searching Yahoo for assuredhealth.com returns their site,
> but that's just one step above 'not web savvy' and I don't expect it to
> happen.
>
> While most web savvy types would just put the domain name in the address
> bar, some of those involved are not web savvy..
>
> Thanks.
>
> joel

Sorry, Joel - I don't have a direct answer for you, but:

On a certain site I maintain, about nine percent of the search phrases
whereby someone clicked onto said site were exactly the domain name.

Also, I frequently work with web UNsavvy clients who have said (and I've
seen them actually do this) "when I want to go to ebay I just punch
ebay.com into google" evidently satisfied with the extra click.

Another that I've worked for was going to ask me how to get her site 'on
google' and later told me that she thought she must be all set now
because if she searches for her domain name her site comes up first.

Obviously Google and Yahoo! have different algorithms and indexes and
I've noticed 'wildly different' results myself (i.e. a search on Yahoo
for terms that would seemingly bring a particular result but being
appalled and bewildered when seeing something totally illogical).

Maybe none of this helps you but I thought I should point out the fact
that some users actually do search for domain names.. maybe that's what
you were implying by 'most web savvy types would just put the domain
name in the address bar'.

thanks,
-Dan