[thelist] [PHP] Visiting a page in the background?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:18:53 CDT 2008

kasimir-k wrote:

>>> A lot easier is to use file() or file_get_contents()
>>>

> Christian Heilmann scribeva in 2008-05-02 11:51:
>
>> Most PHP setups will not allow you to open a file on another server
>> though
>>

> They don't allow filesystem access, but if fopen wrappers have been
> enabled (which I believe usually is the case) then one can make
> read-only HTTP GET requests with file() and file_get_contents() (and
> fopen() etc.)
>
> .k

That's what I thought and MediaTemple shut that feature down without
warning me, breaking some of my badges.

The reason was that there was a WordPress vulnerability that allowed you
to write out files which then pulled automailer scripts from a third
party server.

Curl is very much full of awesome, and quite a good skill to learn.

Chris