[thelist] javascript numbers with decimals

Phil Turmel pturmel-webdev at turmel.org
Tue May 6 08:50:16 CDT 2008

Daniel Kessler wrote:
> I'm trying to ensure that all characters entered into a field are
> numbers AND/OR a decimal.  Valid entries are similar to: 521,
> 521.44, .44, 521.4    Invalid entries would be: $521, 52o
> I'm working from code that works in another library and I have it
> removing all numbers, but it won't allow a decimal.  I'd like to
> understand what the code is doing and how to also allow a decimal.
> Here's the code that I have so far:
>
> regEx = /\D/g; // String to remove any characters that are not numbers
> filteredField=field.value.replace(regEx,"") // text field numeric
> characters only
>
> Clearly I need to update the first line to include the decimal, but
> haven't yet figured out how.  I'll keep on it.
>
> Oh, and please cc me with any replies as I get these postings digest.
>
> thank you.

Try:

regEx = /[^0-9\.]/g;

(untested)

HTH,

Phil

ps.  This list is a "mangled" list, which means reply-to-all doesn't
work.  I had to add your CC: manually.  You might want to consider
switching to non-digest mode while actively soliciting help, as some
respondents won't notice the missing CC:.

--
Need to contact me offlist?
   Drop -webdev or you probably won't get through.