[thelist] [OT] Hardware question about RAID...

Tris beertastic at gmail.com
Wed May 7 10:17:28 CDT 2008

Thanks all...!
I'm 'upgrading' my system to replace all my external drives, I plan to
have 6 x 1Tb drives, raid 5 or 6.
Giving me 4.5Tb roughly, which is about 1Tb more than I need, but
that'll fill up quickly I'm sure.
I wanted it to show up as one drive of 4.5Tb. the case I've purchased
has hot swapable bays, so when a drive goes to heaven, I can easily
replace it and not loose data. (hopefully ;-p )
Buuuuut, I've opted for this:
http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/394553/3ware-9650se-8ml---8-port-satasas-controller-no-cables---pci-express-sf8087.html

And if I'm reading correctly, I can only make increments of 2Tb...
(due to a windows and linux kernel 2.4 issue)
I'm new to Linux (havng installed ubuntu last weekend) but guess if I
upgrade to 2.6, I'll be fine..

I guess that's it, I have to get a dedicated card...
But the advise thus far has been great... cheers!!

Tris...

--
"The only people who don't make mistakes are those who don't do anything"

Give a man a fish and he'll feed himself for a day.
Give a man a religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish.
Anon

`We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.`
Kurt Vonnegut

`When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others
to laugh at him.`
Thomas Szasz