[thelist] [OT] Hardware question about RAID...

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed May 7 21:38:22 CDT 2008

The RAID controller in your NAS is probably a cheap on-board component as well. The difference is merely in the implementation (drivers etc)

Decent dedicated RAID controllers that can do RAID5 (so the 4 port models) start at about US$350-400 or so for a mid-market brand (3WARE etc), and only go upwards from there. Most NAS devices don't have those as they add significantly to the cost.

On the other hand, if you are suggesting that OP buy a dedicated NAS device for storage rather than try to store this all on their main PC, then you do have a point. But access over a LAN to a NAS is usually much slower than accessing local storage.

Cheers
Ken