[thelist] Setting up Apache on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri May 9 19:55:19 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Jeffrey Barke
<jeffrey.barke at themechanism.com> wrote:

> Found 'em, thanks. :)

anything in the error log?

>> What directives were in the .htaccess file that didn't work? Or to put
>> it another way, how do you know it's /not/ working?

> # basic authentication
> AuthName "dev box"
> AuthType Basic
> Require valid-user
>
> Not because I need basic authentication, but it's a sure fire way to
> determine if it's working, right? :)

So what happens when you try to access the directory in question?
And since you haven't specified an  AuthUserFile directive, you have
a '.htpasswd' file in the directory? Actually you would probably be
better off specifying the user file to remove any chance of ambiguity.

If you haven't already, glance over this section of the docs:

   <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#require>

And here's my test .htaccess:

  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Restricted Resource"
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache-httpd-2.2.8/conf/users
  Require user hassan

where '/usr/local/apache-httpd-2.2.8/conf/users'  is a file created per
the instructions here:
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authn_file.html#authuserfile>

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com