[thelist] Setting up Apache on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Jeffrey Barke jeffrey.barke at themechanism.com
Fri May 9 20:13:06 CDT 2008

> anything in the error log?

Nothing that seemed significant.

However it works now and I think I know what the problem was:
To edit httpd.conf, I was logged in as root. To test the edits, I
created the .htaccess files as root. Nothing was working and when I re-
logged in as myself, I couldn't edit anything that root had created.
So I had the root user delete all the files and recreated them using
my standard login. Everything worked--so I chalk it up to a
permissions problem.

Is that plausible?

Thanks for the help and your time, Hassan.

Jeffrey

On May 9, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Jeffrey Barke
> <jeffrey.barke at themechanism.com> wrote:
>
>> Found 'em, thanks. :)
>
> anything in the error log?
>
>>> What directives were in the .htaccess file that didn't work? Or to
>>> put
>>> it another way, how do you know it's /not/ working?
>
>> # basic authentication
>> AuthName "dev box"
>> AuthType Basic
>> Require valid-user
>>
>> Not because I need basic authentication, but it's a sure fire way to
>> determine if it's working, right? :)
>
> So what happens when you try to access the directory in question?
> And since you haven't specified an  AuthUserFile directive, you have
> a '.htpasswd' file in the directory? Actually you would probably be
> better off specifying the user file to remove any chance of ambiguity.
>
> If you haven't already, glance over this section of the docs:
>
>   <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#require>
>
> And here's my test .htaccess:

>  AuthType Basic
>  AuthName "Restricted Resource"
>  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache-httpd-2.2.8/conf/users
>  Require user hassan
>
> where '/usr/local/apache-httpd-2.2.8/conf/users'  is a file created
> per
> the instructions here:
> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/
> mod_authn_file.html#authuserfile>
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
> --

> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

> Workers of the Web, evolt !

—
Jeffrey Barke
Senior developer / information architect
theMechanism
New York
440 9th Avenue
8th Floor
New York, NY 10001-1631
e:	jeffrey.barke at theMechanism.com
w:	http://theMechanism.com
t:	+1 212 404 3150
f:	+1 212 404 3228

—

theMechanism is a multi-disciplinary design agency with offices in New
York, London and Durban, South Africa.