[thelist] Developing in Linux

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun May 11 13:58:31 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried now to switch from Windows to Linux. Thus far I feel that I
> have been unsuccessful.

> Before I switch back, however,I just wanted to ask evolters if there is
> something I am missing here--perhaps there are tools or tweaks for Linux
> that I didn't yet find.

Yes, it's called "the shell"  :-)

Not knowing your background, I'll just say that I suspect someone
who's only known GUI computing environments will require time to
understand the power of the command line.

The fact that you're looking for a GUI MySQL interface is a pretty
good indication that you're one of them  -- and that's not a criticism,
just an observation :-)

Perhaps the other developer-friendly feature of Linux distros is the
presence of gcc. Being able to build software from source not only
saves time searching for pre-built binaries, but allows you a lot more
freedom in configuring features. Not to mention knowledge gained
in how stuff''s really put together.

I can't imagine how you get things done without a decent shell, but
use what makes you happy :-)

YMMV, etc.
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com