[thelist] Developing in Linux

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:11:02 CDT 2008

> The point to make here is that it's not either/or -- GUI/CLI. In Windows
> you have a GUI and a crippled, er, sorry, feature-challenged "CMD"
> "shell"; in *nix you have a GUI and your choice of built-in powerful
> shells with many, many utilities (e.g. find, grep, sed). But of course
> there are useful GUI tools for many tasks as well -- your choice.

I agree with you about the Windows CLI. Just to mention that Cygwin
(last time I used it) does create a fine Linux CLI on a Windows box, for
one who wants (for whatever reasons) a Windows box but also wants the
power of a Linux CLI.

> I'd second the suggestion of jEdit for a text editor, and if you're still
> having trouble opening large files, either join the jEdit user mailing
> list or ping me off-list.

Truth is that opening large files is a fairly UNcommon occurrence with
me. The main features I am looking for in an editor (aside from the
'standard' ones all programmers want) are:

1. A list of functions or document elements/sections in a sidebar that
is clickable to jump to that spot in the doc. Quanta has the list, but
it wasn't clickable for me.
2. The ability to scan a directory structure and pick up the API. So if
I am programming in a PHP framework of some sort (whether CakePHP or
Drupal etc.) the editor knows of all available functions and can assist
with typing them or display the variable definitions from the function
definition. I believe I have seen such a thing somewhere.
3. Code folding. Not convinced I will use it, but it seems quite
interesting. :)

Those are the main things I can think of off the top of my pointy little
head.

Thanks.