[thelist] Developing in Linux

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Mon May 12 14:11:42 CDT 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 08:19, Phil Turmel wrote:
> My experience is similar to Bill's...  I dual-boot for niche work
> applications (Microstation, Proficy ME, RSLogix/RSLinx, FactorySQL) but
> work in Linux for all personal stuff.  Windows now drives me insane.

I've been using Linux (RH/Fedora/CentOS mainly) as a primary desktop for 8
years or so. I try to avoid the holy wars, but I think there is no comparison
with the 'other' more common desktop. KDE feels like a professional finished
product, and has some very cool apps that actually work. So my advice would
be, if you tried a Gnome desktop and didn't like it, give KDE a try before
giving up (Kubuntu is a good option).

Also VMWare workstation is free(^beer) and works great if you have a little
RAM to spare. I don't dual boot anymore, for MSIE testing, Quickbooks, and
the occasional Photoshop session (let's face it, Gimp is not quite in the
same ballpark) then any of my WinXP installations are ready to wake from
suspend in about 10sec. You can even cut-and-paste between desktop and VM.
Latest versions are 100% stable and reliable in my experience.

Konqueror is a great (S)FTP client and filesystem explorer/manager. There is
none better in Windows or OSX land that I know of. It also makes a decent web
browser.

If you need a GUI for mySQl then have you tried these?
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html
I have, but somehow keep going back to the CLI... more typing, true, but funny
how its actually faster sometimes. But in any case if you can't live without
SQLyog, then W2K would live happily in a VM.

enjoy -
Sam