[thelist] Developing in Linux

Nick Brogna nick at wemakepretty.com
Mon May 12 15:09:38 CDT 2008

I should have put this in my previous reply, sorry.

If you want the free VMware virtualization software for desktop
virtualization (meaning runs under a host OS so you don't have to
give up a whole computer like you would with ESX server) you want
VMware Player.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Sure you can't create or clone your own VMs, but you can download
hundreds of pre-configured, pre-built "virtual appliances" (including
most of the major distros in just about any configuration you can
imagine) for free from here:
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

Additionally, many of the how-tos here will also have an attached
virtual appliance for download.
http://howtoforge.com/

Cheers,

Nick Brogna