[thelist] load testing tools and concurrency

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Fri May 16 09:54:20 CDT 2008

Thanks, Paul and Peter, for recommending Apache JMeter.  Looks like an
excellent tool; I've played with it for about an hour now and it seems
to be able to do all I could ask and much, much more.  If you've
happened to have used JMeter and come up with a tried-and-true Test
Plan, please pass it on or send along your suggestions for useful test
components.

I'd also appreciate your feedback on concurrent requests:
> Now, as sidebar: this particular application (which was built using
> MySQL + Python + Apache) seems slow with sequential reads, but even
> worse when concurrent requests are used.  I'm being told that this
> isn't possible, since the server should be able to queue requests as
> they come in, sequential or otherwise.  While that seems evident,
> sequential reads return results, while concurrent reads (in any
> quantity: 10, 5, even 2) result in time-outs much more often.  Any
> thoughts on this?

Thanks,
~John