[thelist] Sending Tabular data with mail()

Phil Turmel pturmel-webdev at turmel.org
Sat May 24 08:01:47 CDT 2008

Santilal Parbhu wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
>
> This just goes to show how little I know about how emails are structured.
> Where do you find out about this sort of stuff.

Email structure is defined by "Requests for Comments", aka RFCs,
maintained by the Internet Engineering Task Force[1].  The basic
e-mail format is RFC #2822, with multipart extensions defined in RFCs
#2045, #2046, #2047, #2048, and #2049.  The extensions refer to RFC
#822, but that was replaced by #2822.

You can read them here:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2047.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2048.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2049.txt

Of course, once you plod through these, you'll probably want to take
Ken's advice: find an object or API that rolls all this up for you.

Hope this helps,

Phil
--
Need to contact me offlist?
   Drop -webdev or you probably won't get through.