[thelist] recommend a CMS system?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed May 28 09:04:10 CDT 2008

I have a couple sites running pre-1.5 joomla and a new one that is
almost there with 1.5 Joomla/Virtuemart.  I dabbled with Drupal but
haven't had time to really dig in.  With joomla (someone else to talk to
drupal) you can add multitudes of extensions.  I use WebCalendar (not an
extension) but run it in its own window because of real estate issues.
If you know php/myql then you can easily write queries to pull out
calendar entries and plant them in a column on a joomla site.
Installing the jumi plug-in will give you the ability to run your own
scripts as well.  Community builder is another nice extension.

The caution with Jooma and perhaps some of the other CMS's is that there
is quite some get-acquainted time and although the tutorials are useful
if you want to really be the good guy you will need to create some
really dummied-up tutorials for your administrator user community.  The
other note is that with the joomla template system comes overhead and
you may find the need to clear out or rearrange unnecessary baggage to
improve download speed.

With Joomla, Drupal and many others there are lots of free templates out
there to download and adapt.