[thelist] Save Page As...

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu May 29 13:08:01 CDT 2008

We have a few users that like to save the output from a page and then
email it.  We are not allowed to actually facilitate the process of
emailing in this case, so only concerned with saving the page to disk.

My preference, in general, is to let the user's browser take
care of saving pages in a form usable for viewing locally.  Although, I
don't think Firefox does a good job of saving background images, IIRC.

But, it's looking like we may need a "download this page" link to provide a
similar, but with fewer features from the on-line version.

My question is what format to use for the "download" version?

I know IE allows saving in "MHTML" format (an multipart/related MIME
formatted file).  But, I'm not sure how portable that file will be.

Obviously, I need to include images, so if they are not somehow
included in the "download" then they need to be linked to the server
to fetch them remotely.  (Means I need to be careful about relative
links to background images.)

So, if I need to have links back to the server for the images, is
there any reason not to do the same with the css instead of in-lining
the css?

Will the javascript need in-lining regardless?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org