[thelist] javascript form validation help

EvoltList at no-pun.com EvoltList at no-pun.com
Wed Jun 11 11:56:48 CDT 2008

Okay, I suck at javascript (VB script, no problem).  Apparently, of the many
times I've written form validation, I never had to deal with radio buttons
as conditionals. Could use some code help  here. Form ref:
https://shop.wamalaw.com/Inc_Form.asp

I have a couple radio button groups wherein if one button is checked,
validation then is required for associated form fields.  I have included my
_incorrect_ approach within, just so you see what I am trying to accomplish.

<script language="javaScript" type="text/javascript">
function validate_required(field,alerttxt)
{
with (field)
{
if (value==null||value=="")
  {alert(alerttxt);return false;}
else {return true;}
}
}

function validate_form(thisform) {
with (thisform)
 {
 if (validate_required(PaymentCode,"Enter your payment code from email
confirmation.")==false)
   {PaymentCode.focus();return false;}

' radion button: incorrect code below. Field names *Option are the radio
buttons; others are input fields

 if (validate_required(FNOption,"Select whether you wish us to register
fictitious name.")==false)
   {FNOption.focus();return false;}

 if (FNOption.value == "y") {
   if (validate_required(FN,"Enter a fictitious name.")==false)
     {FN.focus();return false;}
 }

 if (validate_required(AddressOption,"Select whether you wish to use our
physical address for incorporation.")==false)
   {AddressOption.focus();return false;}

 if (AddressOption.value == "n") {
   if (validate_required(Street1,"Enter Florida physical address street of
corporation's principal office.")==false)
     {Street1.focus();return false;}
   if (validate_required(City,"Enter Florida address city of corporation's
principal office.")==false)
     {City.focus();return false;}
   if (validate_required(Zip,"Enter Florida address ZIP code of
corporation's principal office.")==false)
     {Zip.focus();return false;}
     if (validate_required(County,"Enter Florida county corporation's
principal office.")==false)
     {County.focus();return false;}
   }
  }