[thelist] using gzip to deliver images

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:03:05 CDT 2008

On 6/12/08, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> With Ken's help I got it straight how to gzip stylesheets and javascript
> and improve page speed. The savings can be truly dramatic! I can't figure
> out how to make this work similarly with images. I have tried several
> different options with the header, but no dice yet. I changed the header to:
>
> Bob

Bob. Hi again.  I was considering using gzip on images too, but it turns out
that images do not need to be gzipped.  For one, they are already compressed
and would not yield much savings (Same thing happens when you put an mp3
file in a zip folder).  For two, most browsers do not accept gzip images.

See here for more info: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6802

Also see my blog entry on other ways to save image bandwidth including
proper cache control:
http://kendsnyder.com/archives/7-Images-Cache,-Slice,-Compress.html

- Ken