[thelist] divs vs table

David Laakso david at chelseacreekstudio.com
Wed Jul 23 08:57:00 CDT 2008

Nan Harbison wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For a long time now I have been using divs for layout on websites. However,
> I am doing a page using liquid design where there are several rows of two
> photos/images in the content area, and I cannot get the divs to behave in
> all cases. When I look at the page in my small laptop, there is only one
> photo per row because there isn't enough real estate for both. If I make the
> divs small enough to always fit two wide, it doesn't look good on a large
> screen. Besides that, IE 6 is displaying the divs strangely, not in the
> correct order.
> I am about to go back to table layout to force the page to display
> properly!!!
>
> Any thoughts? Am I being anal about not using tables? I do use them to
> display tabular results of course
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nan

Fixed width elements, such as images, can be problematic in liquid
layouts. There are a number of ways to cope with this, depending on the
specific situation at hand-- for example, sometimes setting min/max
width (with work around for IE/6) on the page will do the trick.
Difficult to advise without seeing the problem. Putting the site on a
public server, and providing a clickable link to it in your post, is
always a nice touch-- particulary when the "crystal ball" has the day off...

--

A thin red line and a salmon-color ampersand forthcoming.

http://chelseacreekstudio.com/