[thelist] Managing releases.

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Jul 25 09:34:56 CDT 2008

I'm working with a group of developers, testers (QA), and a release
manager.  I'm curious how others manage the release cycle.

We currently submit bugs and feature requests to a ticket system
(currently RT), then select some subset of tickets for the next
release.  One to five developers might be involved and then the
tickets are passed to QA for testing and then either flagged as
complete or sent back to the developers.

The entire process never flows as smoothly as I'd like, so I'd be very
interested in hearing any procedures your might be using in your
organization to manage your workflow.

Specifically, how do you manage the set of features/bugs for a given
release and how testing is done and then what you have in place to
ensure that the release is ready and fully tested.

Sorry, it's a bit open-ended of a question. ;)

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org