[thelist] DreamWeaver content locking

Gersten, John JGERSTEN at lchb.com
Fri Aug 8 17:42:20 CDT 2008

Not sure if this is what you mean, but as I understand it, when you
check out a file, Dreamweaver creates a second file with the same name
but a different extension -- at least in Dreamweaver CS3, the
checked-out (protected) version of filename.htm is filename.LCK.

Then I believe for anyone *else* using Dreamweaver to try to check out
filename.htm, the program first actually checks to see if filename.LCK
exists. If the program finds such a file, it reports back that "user XXX
has checked out filename.htm, do you want to override her checkout,"
etc.

I don't think Dreamweaver actually changes the protection on the
original file, so anyone using a *different* program to grab
filename.htm will be able to do so without any problem.

HTH,

John