[thelist] open source Outlook/Exchange replacement

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Sat Aug 16 16:38:27 CDT 2008

Hi Joel,

On Saturday 16 August 2008 20:56:50 Joel D Canfield wrote:
> I'm seriously interested in dumping our MS dependency. My wife and I
> operate three small businesses; we're the entire staff. We live and
> breathe in Outlook and Exchange. We need email, shared scheduling and
> contacts, and PDA syncronization without burning a lot of cycles on a
> steep learning curve or time-consuming setup and config (since, y'know,
> we already know the tools we use, and they're already purchased and
> configured, literally years ago.) We need better spam filters without
> spending a fortune.
>
> what's the open source solution for a small office?

My wife and I have a shared calendar and address book simply by using the same
file on my server here at home. Granted, this is not the best way, but it
works. We're also using Kontact (KDE's Personal Information Manager), which
should eventually be available on Windows, come KDE 4.1 (we use Kubuntu Linux
on our computers).

You might want to look into a more formal system like Kolab though
(http://www.kolab.org/).

There are plenty other options, but most of them would involve some server
configuration...

Hope this helps.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za