[thelist] upgrading PHP on OS X

John Corry jcorry at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:02:12 CDT 2008

nick brogna wrote:
> Where is the location of your httpd.conf file? If you are not using
> the built-in Apache it's probably not under /private/etc/apache2/, are
> you sure you are changing the right conf file (for the version of
> Apache that is running) to point to your build of php?

Well, it is under /private/etc/apache2/

It seems to be the right file, as virtualhost changes there have been
reflected in the server.

The version of Apache I should be using is in usr/local/apache2/

When I start/stop/restart the server it's using the ./bin/apachectl
start/stop/restart command

In system->preferences 'web sharing' is OFF.

> What version of OS X are you using? Enough has changed between Tiger
> and Leopard that it would help to give you clearer instructions if we
> know this.

OS X 10.5.4

> Also, just as an aside, why did you build your own Apache? Leopard
> ships with Apache2 and works great out of the box 99% of the time
> (unless you have specific needs). I think you may be making things
> harder than they have to be! (If you're using Tiger, I totally
> understand not wanting to use Apache 1.3 or whatever that ships with

I didn't even know it was pre-installed on the machine.

Took it out of teh box and set out to building myself a developer's
environment like I always have: install apache, MySQL, PHP and get to work.

I followed the directions here: http://diymacserver.com/

It seemed to work just great until I needed the soap libraries.

> Cheers,
> Nick

Thanks for the help, I'm new to all this non-windows stuff.

John Corry