[thelist] Intranet cms recommendations

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 02:45:59 CDT 2008

On 19 Aug 2008, at 00:47, Paul Bennett wrote:

> * clean front end code
> * clear separation of content & presentation in templating
> * basic workflow (edit, authorise, publish)
> * wysiwyg page editor
> * well documented, extendable code base
> * flexible site structure (doesn't tell us where things MUST go too
> much)
> * open source preferred (LAMP stack but can install other
> technologies if the solution fits)
> * vendor / company support if needed
> * hosted in-house
> * cheap (this thing isn't going to be saving the world, just running
> our intranet)
>
> My list so far is generally open-source centric, so I'm wondering if
> I've missed any obvious ones, or if I can have some experiences from
> people who've installed / configured / used these (or others):

Of those I have experience in:

>    * Drupal

Will do all the above

>    * Plone

Will do all the above, but isn't LAMP. It very much has its own (OK,
*Zope* has its own) way of doing things. Generally needs more
horsepower to get the same amount done, but provides some really nifty
APIs, *especially* if you need multi-lingual. Oh, and because it's not
a simple RDBS backend, getting data in/out is a challenge.

>    * Joomla

Should do most of the above - not looked at it for a while. My
recollection is that it had quite a strict URL schema which may not be
flexible enough, but that's back when it was Mambo.

>    * Django

Isn't a CMS, but a strong application framework with lots of nice
stuff for publishing. It's Python, rather than PHP. Much of the higher
level stuff from above will need to be built. But Django's a good
framework in which to do it.

I'd also note that pretty much all CMSs will bundle in the wysiwyg
editor - something like FCKEdit - rather than writing it themselves.

Cheers
Martin