[thelist] OCR

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Mon Aug 25 16:41:53 CDT 2008

I have a project that requires converting a bunch of TIF files into PDF and running OCR on them so that we can index them into our SharePoint portal.

We found an inexpensive shareware for under $40 that does the TIFF to PDF conversion, but the OCR function puts either a space or a period between each letter of most words, making the text incomprehensible to the search engine.

We are wondering if we need two software packages -- one to do the conversion and another to do the OCR.

Any suggestions based on experience or knowledge of the market?  Or, alternatively, will an iFilter provide the capabilities we need?

Thanks in advance!

--
I made magic once.  Now, the sofa is gone.
http://blog.dwacon.com