[thelist] Backing up linux machine

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Aug 27 02:45:09 CDT 2008

Hi Mark,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:09:45 +0100, "Mark MacInnes"
<mark.macinnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've recently got a Linux machine for our internal web server -
> previously
> we had Apache installed on someone's Windows machine. We want to automate
> incremental backing up of the server. We have a huge external HDD, but
its
> currently NTFS and I've read that we'd need to create a linux partition
so
> the linux server can backup to it. Is this right? Can anyone recommend
the
> best way of doing this?

You'll need to use a tool like GParted or QtParted to partition the drive
(these are linux programs). Once you've done that, you can look at BackupPC
as a backup solution. It does the incremental backups, and can even
remotely back up your windows PCs.

Hope this helps.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/