[thelist] IE8 and Opera rendering of BUTTON

Duncan Hill dunkaz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:52:05 CDT 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:50:17 +0100, Rick den Haan <rick.denhaan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I am wondering if this is a peculiarity of my machine, or whether this is
> built-in behavior in the Opera (9.52) and IE8 (b2).
>
> I am currently working on a site that uses <button>Text</button> and
> <input
> type="button" value="Text" /> in an XHTML 1.0 Transitional doctype, and
> all
> browsers (including IE6 and IE7) center the text both horizontally and
> vertically on the buttons.  IE8b2 and Opera 9.52 appear to center the
> text
> horizontally, but align it with the *top* of the button.
>
> Could someone please verify this? I only have one machine at my disposal
> at
> the moment. If this is a known problem/bug/feature/quirk, would anyone
> happen to know how to get the text vertically centered, without setting
> line-height (some of my <button>s have multi-line text)?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rick.

Do you have any other styling applied to the button. my Opera 9.52 on W2K
gives an almost XP style button with text centered horizontally and
vertically, using a transitional Doctype. (Same on XP)
IE6 and FF 3.0.1 are producing a very simple flat button similarly
centered.
On XP IE7 gives a slightly styled button with rounded corners, centered.
Safari Win 3.1.2 gives a typical Mac style button.
I haven't checked it in IE8

<head>
   <title></title>
</head>

    <button>Text</button>

Have you modified your Opera config, or recheck any styling that might be
inherited from the page.

Duncan