[thelist] IE8 and Opera rendering of BUTTON

Duncan Hill dunkaz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 16:28:10 CDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:50:40 +0100, Rick den Haan <rick.denhaan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Duncan Hill wrote:
>> Do you have any other styling applied to the button. my Opera 9.52 on
>> W2K gives an almost XP style button with text centered horizontally
>> and vertically, using a transitional Doctype. (Same on XP)
>
> Yes, the buttons are styled to fit in the design, but as far as I know,
> there's nothing there to change the position of the text. Here are the
> styles that apply to the buttons:
>
> background: url('/images/layout/bg_button.jpg') #446fac top left
> no-repeat;
> border: none;
> color: #fff;
> cursor: pointer;
> font-size: 9px;
> font-weight: bold;
> height: 22px;
> margin-left: 2px;
>
> (font-family is inherited and set to Arial, mainly).
>
> I tried setting vertical-align: middle; but I noticed that this does not
> affect the position of the text in the button, but the position of the
> button in relation to the line it is in (like with an image), so that
> didn't
> work.
>
> Rick.

Hi Rick,

I didn't get much chance to mess with this.
The only thing I could find that Opera responded to was setting the
'line-height: 2;'
the text then centers vertically, but only for the button sizes you have
set.
Opera appears to always align the text to the top of the button, if the
button height is increased, the text stays at the top.
I haven't figured a way round this other than the massaging of the
line-height. If I get more time over the weekend, I'll see if anything
else shows up.

Duncan