[thelist] PHP database application framework

Mark MacInnes mark.macinnes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 10:56:32 CDT 2008

Hi John,

I've recently started working with CakePHP and have found it very good in
cutting down development time. So far I haven't used it for production
sites, just for personal little projects whilst I get the hang of it. I'm
actually using a combination of the CakePHP manual (http://book.cakephp.org/)
and a book published by Packt Press (
http://www.packtpub.com/cakephp-application-development/book) to go through
it. I've found it to be very comprehensive with database querying, whilst
having quite a lot of flexibility. It also uses the MVC methodology which
I'm finding really useful.

I've had a very brief look at CodeIgniter and Symfony. I quickly moved on
from Symfony. I quite liked CodeIgniter, so I would recommend looking at
that as well as CakePHP. Unfortunately it was 2-3 months since I looked at
CodeIgniter and Symfony and I just can't remember what I didn't like about
them (not very helpful, I know).

Here's some useful links for you. These are all MVC frameworks by the way,
however that wasn't the reason I looked into them. I, like you, wanted to
cut down on the repetitive database interaction.
CakePHP - http://cakephp.org/
CodeIgniter - http://codeigniter.com/
Symfony - http://www.symfony-project.org/
Zend Framework - http://framework.zend.com/