[thelist] WMV to Mpeg Video Converter

Steve Axthelm steveax at pobox.com
Wed Sep 10 14:00:36 CDT 2008

On 2008-09-10 James Mathew wrote:

>For Windows, there is a free (as in freedom) application called
>VirtualDub<http://www.virtualdub.org/>.

I don't believe vdub will write MPEG files. There are lots of
programs that will write MPEG 1/2 files, not so many that write
error free MPEG files.

When I have to convert to MPEG 1/2 I usually use Avisynth[1] &
Cinema Craft Encoder[2]. The forums and guides at Doom9[3] are
an invaluable source of info for these sorts of tasks. This
guide is aimed at creating a DVD from an AVI, but is pretty
close to what the original message was asking for:

<http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/avi2dvdr.htm>

HTH,

-S

[1] http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page