[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Walter Torres jswalter at torres.ws
Fri Sep 12 16:37:37 CDT 2008

>> I have been thinking of creating a CMS lately but have been daunted by the
>> number of existing systems out there.   My wife is starting a law practice
>> and I think I would like to use the CMS to mainly target law firms.

At first I thought you might be saying Content Management Systems, but
then your last line makes me think you mean CONTACT Management Systems.

It has always been my understanding that:
   *  CMS   => Content Management Systems
   *  CRMS  => Contact Relationship Management Systems

Rollimg your on (either way) can be a daunting task.

I would recommend you look hard at Open Source solutions.

I use and even work on...
   *  CMS   => ExponentCRM.org
   *  CRMS  => XRMS.org

Take a look these and see if they help you.

Walter