[thelist] Video Streaming

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Sat Sep 13 01:47:21 CDT 2008

Hi Jess,

> "j s" <jslist at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> At work they want to do 30 minute streaming meetings over the web and
> there are band width issues. I've got a great camera - but need help on
> compressing them - then buffering them over the web. (Especially
> buffering) Any suggestions? Is Windows Media Server any help? I
> understand it comes free with Win 2003 Server.

I'd compress/convert them with the open source ffmpeg (the swiss army knife
of video):
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

Sounds like yours is a Windows shop, so here's the Windows port:
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffmpeg/

Or here's how to build your own, if you prefer:
http://www.salyens.com/mingw/

But let a professional streaming video server host it for you.  Here are
two competent and reasonably priced providers:

http://www.streamguys.com/streamingservices/ondemand.html

http://playstream.com/services/ondemandinfo.aspx

Streamguys even has a nice calculator to help you figure out exactly how
*much* you might want to compress it.  Enter the bit rate quality, # of
minutes and max concurrent viewers you have to support and it gives you the
price.

HTH,

-dave