[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 16:02:26 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Christie Mason
<cmason at managersforum.com> wrote:

> Off the Shelf (OTS), open source or otherwise,  can be fine for some very
> defined situations and a horror story in other situations.

I was *just* thinking about this myself. I'm so glad someone brought
it back up.

> Then there's what I think of as the "potato chip" issue.  Clients think they
> only need a system to do X, and the next thing you know they all want it to
> do XYZ, then S, then AB.

This happens on every single project I've ever worked on, no matter
the size, scale or purpose.

And you basically took the words right out of my mouth!

Excellent comment!

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications