[thelist] Good US registrar?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Thu Sep 18 12:32:14 CDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Christian Heilmann wrote:

> Most of them are tucows.com resellers anyways, so see who you can get
> there.

Tucows?  That's a software download site.  I don't see domain
registration there.

On Sep 18, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Conyers, Dwayne wrote:

>> Okay, since so many say that GoDaddy is evil, what _is_ a good
>> registrar?  I used to be with Register.com, but switched to GoDaddy
>> when I saw their $8 registrations vs. Register.com's $35
>> registrations.
>>
>> Recommendations for a good, cheap registrar?
>
> Are “good” and “cheap” every synonymous?

Sometimes, yes.  If all the glowing reviews on this list of
WebHost4Life.com are true, they would be an example of good and cheap
hosting.  I don't need hosting though, just a registrar.

> Well... I go by the great American mantra... “Why pay more?”

There was an ad years back for... I forget the store, but they sold
CDs cheap.  One of their ad lines was "If you pay too much for
Counting Crows, do you get more crows?"

So yes, some things are enough of a commodity that higher price is
just higher price.  I believe an honest company can make money selling
domains for $8 or $10.  I can't imagine how Register.com is still in
business selling them for over 4 times the price.  (Well, I can see
how they make the money, I just don't see how they still have
customers.)

Stephen