[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 01:56:51 CDT 2008

On 19 Sep 2008, at 05:05, Zachary Kent wrote:

>> So this is different from most existing CMSs, how?
>
> Funny I don't recall saying that it was going to be different than
> most existing CMSs....

The concept of a Unique Selling Point's a new one to you then?

>> The market in paid for CMS licensing is pretty small...
>
> I don't know about that.  I just left a company where they developed
> an in-house CMS and they were selling websites with their CMS
> installed for 4-7K depending on the features they wanted.   He
> couldn't sell them fast enough.  To me that's not bad money.

Not comparing apples with apples there - could he have sold 'em with a
customisation of an existing CMS to do the same stuff, investing less
coding work to do the customisation than coding from scratch?

Also, I would suggest that if the clients understood what they were
getting, then they would have been very concerned about vendor lock-in
for ongoing support.

Cheers
Martin