[thelist] Getting version control into the office for the first time

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Fri Sep 26 13:04:20 CDT 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008 13:30, Stephen Rider wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Eduardo Kienetz wrote:
> > I don't think anyone nowadays should start versions control with
> > Subversion,
> > but instead should use one of the following: bzr, mercurial or Git.
>
> In a word... Why?

mercurial has a pretty even-handed comparison in the book:

http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch1.html#x5-180001.6

personally I use subversion and feel it is fine for our needs, as long as you
don't do merging too often (it's a headache). For a small local team then any
of them should work fine. The fact that subversion is centralized is not
really a disadvantage in that case.

I'd also submit that subversion has more mature UI tools like TortiseSVN, Trac
and SVN::Web (at least for now). For the OP I'd suggest looking into those
right off the bat.

Sam - (who remembers not too long ago CVS was the only option)