[thelist] iPhone (browser) detection

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Sep 28 18:49:37 CDT 2008

Will wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Erika <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:
>
>>   (Keeping in mind that Android and others are just around the
>> corner...)
>
> This is a really good point and is actually why I'd shy away from iphone
> specific pages.  We'll end up in 1998 soon enough.

I would say that every time I've gone down a path of higher complexity,
I *always* end up turning around and simplifying all over again.  I
agree that it's hard to go wrong w/ plain and simple.

>  For scripting, object
> detection makes sense but for style and layout, the only thing it seems we
> should be considering is perhaps being a little more verbose with containing
> elements to aid with element zooming.

That's an interesting thought.  I am finding that I like landing pages
with lots of clearly defined blocks.  To me, http://www.alistapart.com
is a perfect example of a KISS site that works great in every browser
I've tried.

> In the case of a huge, high traffic site like facebook or twitter,

I'm not personally convinced that twitter.com, aside from the SSL login,
*needs* an iPhone-specific page... I know that a lot of people access it
from a lot of different devices.

As for facebook.com, I wish their regular site was half as elegant as
their iPhone site.

Erika