[thelist] pesky mail problem

Chris Booth chris at gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 1 03:50:03 CDT 2008

Hi Bob,

You can try using telnet to connect to the mail server and manually
type in commands - this might give you some clue as to where the
process is getting stuck.
At the command prompt you type:
         telnet smtp.integra.net 25
(assuming that 'smtp.integra.net' is the correct name for the mail
server; 25 is the port number for SMTP). The mail server ought to
respond with a line identifying itself. (If not, either the mail
server is down, or there's a network problem - maybe check your firewall?)

Then you type:
         HELO <name of your server>
Server responds:
         250 ... (The messages vary, but if it starts with 250, it's
a positive response)
You type:
         MAIL FROM:<sender's email address>
         250 ... (response from the server)
         RCPT TO:<recipient's address>
         250 ...
         DATA
         354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
The last line is a rather cryptic way of saying that you type in the
body of the message and end it by typing a . on a line by itself (as
you do with the mail command).
Finally the server will respond with
         250 OK: queued as ....
You type
         quit
to close the telnet session and send the message.

Plenty of more complete guides to SMTP commands on the net, eg:
http://www.the-welters.com/professional/smtp.html

Good luck tracking down the problem!

- Chris

--