[thelist] Design Considerations for Blackberry?

Ben Dyer radicalbender at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 10:02:15 CDT 2008

I'm about to start developing a site that is specifically for the
Blackberry mobile device. The site is for an app specifically for
Blackberries, not just a general mobile site.

Now, I don't own a Blackberry (I'm a happy iPhone user), so I was
wondering if there are any specific HTML/CSS/JS considerations you
might know about for the Blackberry's browser.  Blackberry's site is
not terribly helpful on this matter and their developer site is more
geared towards application development (which I know nothing about).

Specifically what I'm looking for is:

- What are the display sizes for the Blackberry devices?
- How does it handle fonts and font sizes?
- How does it handle CSS?  How does it handle CSS layout with divs,
floats, positioning, etc.?
- How does it handle JavaScript? (Does it handle JavaScript?)
- How does it handle images?  If an image is larger than the viewport
does it zoom/resize?

Any information or guides you may know about would be extremely
helpful.  Thanks!

--Ben

--
Radical Bender