[thelist] CMS and other acronyms

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Mon Oct 6 17:12:32 CDT 2008

Erika wrote:

> CMS is technically an abbreviation.  FWIW.

Actually, I did know that. Not sure where my head was when I called
'CMS' an acronym. To be especially pedantic: 'CMS' is a particular type
of abbreviation known as an 'initialism' :)

> Re: CMS.  I've been using "CMS" for "content management system" (on the
> web) since at least 2000.  I *know* I was using that term when I landed
> my first job supporting a CMS that year.  However, I did not... and
> still do not... expect non-web people to understand the abbreviation, so
> I at first take pains to use the entire TWP (three-word-phrase... I
> totally just made that one up).

Yes. Presumably the shop you worked for at that time had already adopted
'CMS' as convenient shorthand for the more cumbersome term 'web content
management system', which I recall as being more common back then.

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario