[thelist] to upload or to include image urls

Annetta Hall AHall at NACDS.org
Wed Oct 8 07:09:15 CDT 2008

I am in the market for an uploader.  Is yours for sell and if so where
can I see it?

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Ken Snyder
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:01 PM
To: bobm at dottedi.biz; thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] to upload or to include image urls

Bob Meetin wrote:
> Is there a consensus on whether it's better to allow the audience to
> upload images and include them in a page they have access to write to
> or include URLs only?
>
> Some considerations
>
> - uploading certainly gives you more control of the image in terms of
> content, size and dimensions
> - linking to another site, such as flickr, whatever is seemingly
> simpler, but less control of network and image size
>
> If you were selling used car parts which would you rather do?  We're
> interested in increasing activity and traffic to the site, not just
> selling the parts as on craigslist which is a sweetheart...

Other pros and cons (some you probably thought of already):

UPLOADING PROS
- Ability to easily display various sizes (e.g. thumbnail, summary,
detail)

UPLOADING CONS
- You become responsible in some degree for inappropriate images
- You have to tighten security to prevent spamming or other abuse
- You must work to ensure scalability, probably storing data in a
database for a load-balanced environment

LINKING CONS
- Some users may not be familiar with or willing to post an image
elsewhere such as flickr
- Hard to police bad links

My choice would be uploading, but that may be because I just barely
finished writing an image uploader and thumbnail viewer this week :)

- Ken Snyder

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/