[thelist] [css-d] Standrards Compliance -fine-tuning

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 9 02:17:30 CDT 2008

neal at constructweb.com wrote:
> anything else that be suggested from the css/html (maybe
> SEO if it's not too OT) perspective that would make this page even more
> web standards compliant?

There doesn't seem much seriously wrong here, but here's some best
practice issues for whatever they're worth:

* Provide textual equivalents for the logo and tag line in the site
banner. Ensure the information doesn't disappear when the users' color
choices are enforced and/or background images are not displayed. IMG
with ALT is generally preferable to using "background-image"-based text
replacement for this reason:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#text-equiv

(The tag line should probably just be straight text.)

* Specify color, background-color, and (optionally) background-image all
together, in order not to conflict with user's chosen color defaults:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CSS-TECHS/#style-color-contrast

* Indicate language with lang="en" on "html":

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-why

* Explicitly specify the encoding in your HTTP header (Content-Type:
text/html; charset=iso-8859-1) to discourage user agents trying to guess
(HTTP headers take precedence over "http-equiv" markup, though the later
is used when a document is loaded locally).

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.2.2

* Move <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1" /> to be the first child of "head", since it could
affect how later content is interpreted:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.2.2

* If this page is meant to attract search traffic, link text beginning
with "Back to" seems odd (non-optimal for users and SEO).

* It's a small and debatable point, but I think hyphenated-class-names
have the slight edge over camelCaseClassNames of matching microformat
conventions and compressing very slightly better:

http://microformats.org/

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/lowercase/

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis