[thelist] Single or multiple MySql databases.

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:07:34 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Duncan Hill <dunkaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am building a new site that makes use of normal static html pages plus 2
> separate Wordpress blogs, aMember membership management, and PHPlist for
> newsletter posting etc.
> Apart from the static pages, the other apps all run from MySql databases
> ... what are the pros and cons of using either a single database that they
> all access, or individual databases for each app.
>
> I don't need to run any special queries on the databases (that I can
> foresee).
>
> Many thanks for any words of wisdom.

I assume you mean databases on the same server rather than separate
database servers. If you put all the tables in the same database, it
is somewhat more difficult to make sure the user for wordpress does
not have access to aMember tables, etc. You would also need to make
sure that table names do not conflict across applications. I don't see
any benefit to putting all the tables in the same database in MySQL.

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA