[thelist] front end design: liquid design

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Oct 28 22:46:40 CDT 2008

Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:02 AM,  <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:
>
>> And honestly, in the real world?  Front end *developers* are hard pressed
>> to find opportunities to use fully fluid design, since *designers*
>> generally opt for control (or the illusion thereof) over flexibility.
>>

> This is key. The developer is often not in control of the design *at
> all*, and must deliver to the expectations of the designers and
> others.
>
> Hell, half the time it's difficult enough to get some designs to work
> with a flexible amount of vertical content, nevermind looking at
> horizontal fluidity.
>
> --
> Blake Haswell
> http://www.blakehaswell.com/ | http://blakehaswell.wordpress.com/

Take a visit to www.demo.yootheme.com.  These are Joomla templates
designed with options if implemented for 2 variations of fixed width and
a fluid option.  IMHO it takes substantial, if not inordinate, effort to
design a site/system to seemlessly (mostly) transition between fixed and
fluid.  Personally I far prefer fluid to fixed, I would rather be in
illusionary control of the space in front of me.  The worst of all
worlds (for me anyhow) is the site that is around 1000 px wide because
you're caught in the middle.  I like to have some background real estate
in view without working the horizontal scroll bar.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!