[thelist] Increase Page Render Speed in IE

Blake haswell00 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:39:15 CST 2008

Hey List,

I've been tasked with making a table-based site render more quickly in
IE. Without redeveloping the site I'm looking for some quick steps I
can take to improve the rendering speed.

The first thing I did was separate the main table into three tables
(header, content, footer) and apply table-layout: fixed; on the header
and footer tables.

I can't apply table-layout: fixed; to the content table because the
layout is relying on the flexible nature of the table cells to
calculate the width. Not that it would make much of a difference
because I believe IE still waits until all the content from a row has
been loaded before rendering that row.

So, beyond these steps are there any other immediate steps I could
take to improve load speed (or the illusion of speed) for a
table-based site or is it just a matter of compressing files as much
as I can?

Thanks,
Blake

--