[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Nov 11 03:25:07 CST 2008

Peter Loron wrote:

> Depending on the content, a CMS type system may work very well.
Yes.
> Also,
> you may want to consider using some kind of framework like
> CodeIgniter, Cake, etc. They offer a lot of support and consistent
> tools that help writing things faster, etc.

Yes, I always consider using these framwork. No, they are not for her yet:)

She decided to be a freelancer and handle many small projects by
herself. Using CodeIgniter or Cake either require her to be a part of
team member (the V part of MVC) instead of herself alone, OR being able
to program or understand how it works in PHP. Not everybody is
interested in programming. That's not saying they cannot, they are only
not "interested", and not doing programming isn't bad enough to banish
them from a web design career. (web design != web development.) I also
consider it's more important she has the basic skill to take some
projects without having to call up a team (and raise the project price
to that of two personnel).

A lot of CMS can be used assuming the user knows only HTML/CSS and not
at all in PHP. In case for her, if she met a project that has to be done
with programming knowledge, she can call me and my PHP developer
colleagues to form a small team for such projects.

It's interesting one of my friend who switched to a web designer from a
publication designer career said most web projects do not require
programming, while my friends who wrote php many years often told me
there is no web project that doesn't need programming. When you have a
hammer, you see problems as nails.