[thelist] PHP/Webservice -- send "string as number" or "number as string" ?

Stefan Schwarzer st.schwarzer at geois.de
Tue Nov 11 07:30:25 CST 2008

Hi there,

I am developing a webservice, in which one needs to specify the type
of the parameter being passed - string, integer etc...

Now, while I want to sent a country ID, I wonder if one can somehow
stay flexible in sending an integer or a string, as both IDs are being
used often. Otherwise I would need to write two webservices, which do
essentially the same thing, one accepting strings as a parameter
("AF"), the other an integer (4).

I tried it with "is_string(4)", but it doesn't work that way, it seems.

Can anyone give me a hint how to achieve this? Or is there too much of
a loss of information involved?

Thanks for any help,

Stef

   Lean Back and Relax - Enjoy some Nature Photography
   http://photoblog.la-famille-schwarzer.de

   Appetite for Global Data? UNEP GEO Data Portal:
   http://geodata.grid.unep.ch